Whenever we are having guests for the weekend, I often fall into this funk–there is so much to do, so many things to clean, put away, fix, paint and cover up, that I am lost and don’t know where to start. This is the day, the much anticipated day, when my three sisters are coming to visit.
It’s an annual event, and pretty much always goes smoothly, yet I am paralyzed with so many things to do. It doesn’t help that I am here by myself as usual, so there is no one to slough my nervous energy on to. Nope, just me and my lists.
That’s one thing I have developed a good habit with–I make lists every day of what I have to get done, and then derive great satisfaction when I can cross things out. I even add things to the list like ‘go to the post office’ or ‘run the dryer’ so there will be more checks and less things not done. Funny.
Today I am honing in on those things that make women feel terrifically welcomed when they come to visit. I”m going to place fresh flowers in all three of our guest rooms, and wrap up some scarves I bought in Ecuador as little welcome gifts. Thankfully, dinner is already made, all I have to do is clean, vacuum, finish some inside painting, go shopping and be ready to welcome Jenny, Anne and Caroline when they arrive tonight.
Latest posts by Max Hartshorne (see all)
- In Praise of Nat Hartshorne, My Father - June 18, 2017
- Poker Game is On again, at Dave’s House - June 17, 2017
- Solid Sound Festival Returns to Mass MOCA on June 23! - June 13, 2017
- A Weekend of Good Friends, Festivals, and a Tipped Over Canoe - June 13, 2017
- Easthampton’s Cultural Chaos Happens this Weekend - June 9, 2017