More Pictures from Ladakh

by Mridula on September 24, 2005

in flowers,Ladakh,lake,Pangong Lake,Photography

Yellow Flowers- Blooming in the Cracks, Ladakh

This picture was taken near Ganda-La base, when we were trying to trek the Markha Valley. I am partial to flowers and these two caught the eye all the more because of the bleak surroundings.

Sunset at Leh, Ladakh
This picture was taken from a height while the sun was going down. Now sitting in the concrete jungle of New Delhi this looks so exotic.

Kids at Pangong Lake, Ladakh
I met these two kids at the Pangong Lake. They posed for me quite willingly. I wish, we were closer to the lake when I took this photograph.

Spitok, Ladakh

The picture below is another one of my favorites and this was taken near Spitok, after we returned from our aborted trek. This is the viewfrom the tea stall where we sat to have a cup and wait for our pickup van to arrive.

1. An Ode to my Departed Ladakh Pictures
  2. A View of the Pangong Lake in Ladakh, India
  3. The People of Ladakh: Toni and my Husband pose for me
  4. The Changla Pass, Ladakh, at 17, 800 feet.
  5. An Attempt to Trek in the Markha Valley, Ladakh and a Story

Mridula October 24, 2009 at 3:04 pm

Anon the names I know I always write, most I unfortunately don't know. And thanks for the kind words about my pictures.

Anonymous October 24, 2009 at 2:51 pm

And, i have to say that those pictures were gorgeous… I wish I could take pictures that well!

Anonymous October 24, 2009 at 2:49 pm

I was wondering if you know some of the white flowers' names, my maltese dog, cookie just had puppies, and i wanted to name all the girls after white flowers.thanks!

Mridula October 6, 2005 at 4:37 am

JB, I somehow thought I repiled to your comment long back, but looks like I did not! I enjoyed Shashi Deshpande’s ‘That Long Silence’ a lot. It is about a typical middle class family in India and its struggles. My husband enjoyed ‘White Mughals’ by William Dalrymple a lot, but I somehow never got to read it.Normies, thank you.Patina, it is silly silly me, who did not take a back up. I too like the sunset a lot.Imaginaire, it is Ladakh, a cold desert in India.

Imaginair' October 5, 2005 at 10:40 pm

What strange landscape!

patina October 4, 2005 at 6:34 pm

these are wonderful photos! i especially like the one with the children and I think your distance/framing is just perfect. the sunset photo is equally marvelous. i, too, feel a loss regarding your 400 ladakh pictures that have vanished.

Normies October 4, 2005 at 6:25 am

just absolutaly breathtaking. I love your photos:)

JB September 29, 2005 at 7:38 pm

Mridula–I haven’t read too many books on India but “The Age of Kali: Indian Travels and Encounters,” by William Dalrymple, has really stuck with me, as have all of Bharati Mukherjee’s novels and stories.I also have a quick “Eyewitness Travel Guide” on India that first sparked my interest. Are there any books on India that you could recommend?

Mridula September 29, 2005 at 5:03 am

Ganga, thank you.Tarun but you do not get to be the kid in my job, you have to manage them, and they are not so small, they are college going but sometimes I feel I am handeling a KG class.Khakra, internet is there, though expensive, PCO and STD work in Leh and they were not supposed to be working before. I have nothing to compare today’s Ladakh with, as I never went there before. We met a German tourist who was here 15 years before and he told us things have changed drastically but he still enjoys it. For me Ladakh is an out of this world place, which is cozy and it feels very safe. Quite a few times I roamed alone while my husband did some mundane work like buying a ‘down’ jacket and I never felt unsafe.The people smile, the kids laugh with you and they let you take photograph so easily! Ahh, I can go on and on and on.

Khakra September 28, 2005 at 10:38 pm

Any notes on the so-called modernization of Ladakh? Did it cross your mind as upsetting when you traveled?

Tarun September 28, 2005 at 1:39 pm

I am very good with Kids….I am one of them ;)

Gangadhar September 28, 2005 at 12:11 pm

Amazing pics,Mridula!And sunset was more beautiful..tnx for sharing wid us….

Mridula September 28, 2005 at 6:41 am

Emma, thank you, I love that sunset too.Jyotsana, I am almost always dreaming about travel in my mind, but I actually venture out not that frequently.Deepak, Leh indeed feels like another corner of the world, one because it is so rremote and difficult to reach there if you are not flying and two because it feels so small and cozy.Sumit, I found your journal from India Mike and loved your pictures.Taurn, I went to Ladakh in June, and have not been anywhere since:( but I might venture the next weekend. I do not travel much, though I write about it often. And if you had my job, you would be teaching 60 unmanagable kids most of the time, care for it?Viji, thank you, I too love that sunset.Momo, you give such a nice connection to those pictures, where I could see none! Thank you.

MoDigli September 28, 2005 at 2:58 am

These are lovely photos. The flowers in the cracks and the two children seem to go together so nicely. They are really like symbols for each other. Love that! :)

viji September 27, 2005 at 3:48 pm

wowwwiiieee Mriduls… the sunset pic was my fave…it looks like a painting !

Tarun September 27, 2005 at 1:47 pm

I wish I had your job….u do so much travel…new places, treking…I love treking like anything…This reminds me my college days. Ladakh is beautiful

Sumit September 27, 2005 at 6:56 am

The sunset is beautifully captured.. Ladakh is indeed a photographer’s paradise.. And yeah thnx for droppin by on my journal..

Deepak September 27, 2005 at 2:03 am

I know just what you mean about the Leh sunset being exotic. It looks like a completely different world!

Jyotsna September 26, 2005 at 3:10 pm

such awesome pictures..i am a travel enthusiast myself although end up traveling in my mind more than in real life..i really loved looking at the Ladakh pics:)

Emma September 26, 2005 at 8:15 am

Beautiful pictures, mridula. Especially the sunset one.

Mridula September 26, 2005 at 5:15 am

JB, it is so nice of you to drop by. I too visited your blog and I enjoyed reading your posts. Please tell me which books on India you enjoyed?Avik, thank you.Pooja, I too am partial to flowers. I had a few lovely pictures of yellow rosebush in Ladakh but sadly they are gone.Kuffir, I wish I went closer to the kids but this was the first time I was photographing people and I was too hesitant I guess.Niki, thank you, I like the way you use ^ this symbol!Crystal, thank you. It is not me, the place is so beautiful that all you have to do is click click click and something great gets captured in a few pictures :) Teri, thank you.Lily, thank you for your wonderful observation.

lily b September 25, 2005 at 9:46 pm

I really like the light in the sunset picture and the two kids are adorable. I like the curves of the mountains, lake and clouds. They seem to echo each other. Beautiful!

Teri September 25, 2005 at 7:58 pm

Those are some beautiful pictures!

Crystal September 25, 2005 at 5:34 pm

The pic with the 2 girls is very very exotic, and the colors and different shades of blue are amazing! You could be a professional photographer Mridula ;-) , your photos are always really great.

niki yokota September 25, 2005 at 3:14 pm

wow~ look like heaven!! wat a great sunset!!! the kids are sooo cute~~~(^-^)

kuffir September 25, 2005 at 8:23 am

loved the pictures of the flowers and the kids. wish we could see the expressions on their faces.

Pooja Aggarwal September 25, 2005 at 7:35 am

Amazing pictures. The yellow flowers are so interesting – I really like that picture.

Me September 25, 2005 at 3:21 am

to me the picture taken near Spitok (the last one) is the best. It’s nicely captured.

JB September 24, 2005 at 9:44 pm

I found your blog via Lily and Crystal, and I just wanted to say that your photographs are stunning. I also dug a bit into your archives and I really enjoyed your comments and observations, especially about your travels. India is a place I always wanted to visit, thanks to a few books I’ve read.