When I Saw Snow for the First Time at Sar Pass!

by Mridula on September 23, 2006

in himachal pradesh,Sar Pass

When we started visiting mountains together, I used to break into a song and dance about any snow capped peak I could spot even if it was at a great distance. Sesha, who had trekked before would tease me a lot and always brag about his experiences of walking on snow for quite a few hours.

Finally, in the year 2002 we trekked through Saar Paas in Himanchal Pradesh. On day four of the trek, I spotted a brown dirty patch of snow for the first in my 30 years of life. It was a bit off the track, but I took pains to go near it and touch it. I again broke into a song and dance about it. But even in my wildest dreams I could never imagine the sight that waited for me a few hours later, when we reached our campsite, Nagaru. As far as the eye could see, there was snow everywhere, even beneath my feet. And that posed a problem. I was not wearing a proper trekking shoes, and for that day and the next, I slipped and slipped. Still, it is one of the most cherished memories of my life.

1. Trees and Some Snow: Har-Ki-Doon, Uttaranchal India
  2. My First Trek: Sar Pass (Himanchal Pradesh)
  3. On the Way to Rohtang Pass: Traffic Jam
  4. Kuari Pass Trek, Uttarakhand Himalayas, India
  5. The Changla Pass, Ladakh, at 17, 800 feet.

Manjusha Misra October 3, 2006 at 7:07 am

Dear Mridula,Seeing your post reminded me of my own experience as well… summer 1982. we were on a visit to kedarnath and badrinath. we walked about 7 kms to kedarnath in snow and drank hot tea at various stalls along the mountain pathway. We stayed the night in a cottage heated by coal fire!I live in tehran for some 12+ years now and your photographs of Delhi’s footpaths brought alive many memories for me too……Work has held me from my annual treat of visiting India.. How i miss India!manjusha

Pooja Aggarwal October 3, 2006 at 4:24 am

Mridula, When I experienced by first snow fall, I felt the same and wanted to sing and dance. But that was only the first time…when I saw it for 6 months straight I had enough. The next i felt the same (like singing or dancing) was when I saw grass again for the first time 6 months later. Never knew plain grass could bring me so much joy. I was in Buffalo, US then. BTW nice picture.

Tarun October 3, 2006 at 4:00 am

After reading your posts or blog someone might think this lady always seems doing travel or trekking but I know that’s not true.

Max Hartshorne October 1, 2006 at 7:26 pm

Mridula PLEASE POST MORE, we now are updating every day and we want to hear from you at least a few times a week!!thanks

Pecos Blue September 30, 2006 at 2:34 am

beautiful–thank you for the pictures.

SiD September 28, 2006 at 3:35 pm

it was Koofri for me – when I saw the snow fall and fallen for 1st time… strangely.. i was roaming beaches of Goa around 5 days after that :) quite a change from 5 layers of clothing to none!!

Anonymous September 28, 2006 at 9:02 am

I know what you mean about the first time you see snow. :)

Emma September 28, 2006 at 5:08 am

Lovely pictures… and exactly how I felt with my first encounter with snow. Can’t forget it.

Ms.N September 28, 2006 at 4:55 am

:) – I saw ur ‘wish i could travel more’ post just yday – and realised i did have company!btw, if i may ask – are u a travel writer for gonomad??and some of these narrations are from the past??? ( i ‘ll probably die of jealousy if u tell me u do it every month! :) )

Ketan September 26, 2006 at 11:57 am

same here. lot of people wondered I never saw snow before. It was christmas eve last year when I saw it snowing for the first time in my life(in A’dam). Wonderful feeling. Almost same as yours. ;)

Stephen Hartshorne September 24, 2006 at 9:01 pm

dear mridula,some years we get ten feet, tho not all at once.i get a little sick of shoveling, but the year i went to houston for the winter i really missed it.best wishes,steve h

Deepak September 24, 2006 at 3:26 pm

I agree. Snow does have its own charm :) I remember the first I saw snow in Shimla…we kids were practically rolling around in it!

Maverick September 24, 2006 at 10:19 am

koooooooool ! i envy u, i ve been living in US for almost an year and i havent seen the snow yet :-(

Cuckoo September 23, 2006 at 7:35 pm

Yeah, it’s a beautiful scene always to see snow capped mountains. All white and nothing else. Jahan tak nazar jaaye sirf safed chaadar. It’s a different world altogether. :) Have been to quite a few places during winters. Yeah, one should always go with proper accessories.

Arun September 23, 2006 at 5:08 pm

Ah.. I exactly know how it feels! I have my version of the story too, see http://travel.paintedstork.com/blog/2005/12/in-search-of-snow.htmlFrom the second image, looks like its a real beautiful place. I should consider going there some day..!