How Does a Typical Home Stay at Spiti (Himachal Pradesh, India) Look Like?

by Mridula on July 16, 2007

in himachal pradesh,Hotels,Spiti,Videos

This video has the partial answer. How I wish I had moved the camera gently and not with the jerky movements that will probably give you a headache. The video was taken at Langza, our first day at the Spiti trek. The first room where there are a lot of people is typical of a living room/dining area and the second room is where we would sleep. Usually, all the rooms would have a view. I would often be glued to one of the windows with a book in hand.

PS. Not writing about day 2 as could not find time. I wonder what I do with my days!

1. Practical Information about the Home Stay Trek in Spiti
  2. Lazy Sunday Photo- Hikkim Village, Spiti, India
  3. A Small Video from Shringi Vatika, Himachal Pradesh
  4. Travelling to Bhamour, Hadsar and Half Way to Mani Mahesh in Himanchal Pradesh, India
  5. Himachal Pradesh Rural Tourism

neelam April 6, 2010 at 1:03 pm

i was looking for how to reach spiti,and found your blog at google. my daughter is pursuing msc environment science and has applied for an internship at ecosphere.being a mother i am quite worried about sending her as she will not have any of her classmates with her. i’ll be very thankful to you if you could clear some doubts-in spiti are any medical facilities available- is it safe if she stays there alone or whatever arrangement she is provided with- i think we will take a air root upto kulu or manali- and then by road, it will reduce the risk of falling ill, as she is very frail and cold-sensitive. if we acompany her to spiti and leave her there with ecosphere will it be alright. please try to help ,i’m counting on your advice.

Mridula April 6, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Hi Neelam, I consider Spiti as one of the safest places in India. About altitude and all, one will adjust eventually and the air is so clear that she will probably become healthier! But then you can see I am a fan of the region.

Mridula June 10, 2008 at 4:42 pm

A’isha have a wonderful trip.

eSutras June 10, 2008 at 2:43 am

Greetings!Thank you so very much for your lovely lovely blog……. My husband and I are traveling to India at the end of June and look forward to visiting Himachal – the very first time. We have contacted ecosphere – thanks to your blog.Many blessings,A’isha

Mridula July 22, 2007 at 8:36 am

Deepak, thanks. Yes, it is like a paying guest scene, but you pay all the money to the NGO Ecosphere rather than directly to the people. They give you a place to stay in their homes and provide all your meals plus numerous cups of tea and chang the local beer.Wanderer thanks for your comments. And I loved staying in homes this time instead of a tent.Maverick, in many places there are no hotels and yes it is great to stay at the homes. Some of the monasteries have guest houses where one can stay.Max, thanks a lot for your comments. And you travel so much.Anita, I am sure you would love the trek, just take care to acclimatize. Thanks Pooja. Pijush, I would say head there once!

Pijush July 21, 2007 at 12:49 pm

Wonderful and Exotic, I wish I could have been there to enjoy the real homely atmosphere of Himachal. Xelent Video, keep posting.

Pooja Aggarwal July 20, 2007 at 2:11 am

I have been reading all your accounts on Spiti…but some problem with my browser settings and I was not able to leave comments.Nothing different though – as always the pictures are wonderful and stories entertaining.

anita July 19, 2007 at 2:47 pm

looks like an interesting place! i’m hoping to do the spiti-lahaul trek sometime too myself so will follow your account of the trip :)

Max Hartshorne July 18, 2007 at 10:43 pm

I loved watching this movie Mridula! Nice to be able to see it so well. thanks for the postNext week off to Montana to the ranch!!

maverick July 18, 2007 at 1:32 am

must be cool eh? certainly has more local flavor than staying at a hotel.im really looking forward to have holidays like this.

Priyank July 17, 2007 at 3:34 pm

Nice video. How much do they charge per day, or was it part of your package? Any rough estimate??Your video had the audio and video, but I could even smell the place… hehehe :)

Wanderer July 17, 2007 at 2:23 pm

Really good video. It gives a good view of the inside of a typical home in the high hills.

Deepak July 17, 2007 at 12:24 pm

Nice video, Mridula.BTW, is the homestay thing sort of like a paying guest scenario?

Mridula July 17, 2007 at 11:50 am

Hi Varun, thanks a lot for your comment. I have seen both Himvani and myHimachal to be quite concrned about Himachal Pradesh.We in general love going to the hills and it is a coincidence that past so many have been to Himachal. I love Himachal (the quieter places more) no doubt.We prefer not to book to many things in advance but we had booked the Spiti Home Stay trek with Ecosphere before hand. Apart from that no bus tickets or hotels were booked in advance. Once again, thanks a lot for all the good work at Himvani and your interest in my blog.

Varun Singh July 17, 2007 at 5:20 am

How I wish I could have been there. Thank you for promoting travel and tourism in Himachal. Do you take some organised tours or just go on your ownwith warm regardsVarun