My Plagiarized Picture Ends up On Mint (WSJ India Partner)

by Mridula on February 3, 2010

in blogging,Media,plagiarism

Click on the Full Size and then see the Passport Image from a file picture of Mints’ Web Page (not available anymore) I hope they find my use of the screen shot a fair use.

That passport picture belongs to me. They have taken it down from the website now.
By now this is the second time I am dealing with the Hindustan Times.
I know who to write to.
They immediately acknowledge the mistake and offer to take that image down, as if that would be enough.
When I retort that I need compensation and credit, they say they will not use the picture but give me the money.
I have to ask how much,
They say 2K and it is high because this is a plagiarized image.
Like a fool who is hard pressed for time I agree, I am equally the culprit.
This is a very hurried post as I am out of town for work. More thoughts on this when I come back.
And I am waiting to hear more from Spicejet too but that is another story and a little different than the straight lifts.

1. Times of India Downloads Picture from Flickr and then Acts Funny
  2. Another Case of Lifting a Picture by Mudra?
  3. A Picture of Mine in Brunch but without Any Credit to Me
  4. Not Good Technically But I Love the Picture Now
  5. Times of India Plagiarizes Again

Mridula February 16, 2010 at 6:46 am

Tarun, what to do!Doli but I do not post high res pictures any longer so I think they will not come out well in print.Kelly, I agree.Ramprahesk I know a very respected lawyer in the supreme sourt and she said there are 30 million cases pending in the courts, and I respect her advice.Thank you Deepa.Sandeep my sentiments too.Guru it does knocks me off balance.Chitra I agree it is not easy dealing with them. Though Mint was easier.Abhilash I have no idea!Thank you Ramesh.Akhila it is indeed a pain to fight with them.Megha even I am insane I agreed for 2K.

Megha February 11, 2010 at 5:02 pm

2K ? they insane ? good that you are taking time and effort to get these crooks down

Akhila S February 4, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Once again!? Wonder how this happens only with you :) Isn't it a pain to fight with those folks?

R. Ramesh February 4, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Again? that's too much Mridula..anywy..now u know where to knock for an earnest reply…do it…we bloggers and our wishes r with u:)

Abhilash February 4, 2010 at 5:58 am

Thats really sad to see the Hindusthan times can do that. Do they lack photographers?

chitra February 4, 2010 at 5:52 am

This is not good…. . I am think you have a tough time dealing with these things.

Guru De Fundae February 3, 2010 at 11:58 pm

Looks like you are confronting a real ordeal. Good LuckGuru

sandeep February 3, 2010 at 8:37 pm

ohh boy! they cant take the picture of a passport on their own!

Deepa Raman February 3, 2010 at 8:15 pm

thr bird pictures are too good

ramprakash February 3, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Stop talking and start suing!! And time you started putting a big horrendous watermark on your pics – not that it would prevent these fools but it sure makes it harder!!

Kelly February 3, 2010 at 4:47 pm

My goodness! You'd think they could take their own picture of a passport!

Doli February 3, 2010 at 4:17 pm

oh yesterday I was thinking seeing your beautiful birds picture that someone will steal that picture too! and once again it has been done!

Tarun Mitra February 3, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Another one…Go on…That is the price of being GoodPS: Thanks for heeding to comments sections advice :)