When did You Fly for the First Time?

by Mridula on February 3, 2011

in Air Travel,Canon D350,Mumbai,Photography,Travel

Ariel View of Descent Near Mumbai

The Descent at the Mumbai Airport

I was thinking today how much I have started taking air travel for granted thanks to the low cost airlines. But when I was growing up, the only domestic airline was Indian Airlines and air travel much beyond our reach. The first time I got inside a plane was when I was already doing my Ph.D. If someone asked my daughter when did she fly for the first time in her life, her answer would be she can’t remember! She has not even been 3 (she is now a little over 3) when she first boarded a plane. I also remember that when I was very young and my father went to a few countries as part of his job. At that point of time there were even fewer options I guess for a government employee for taking flights out of and flights to India!

I still remember my first flight so clearly. It was from Delhi to Colombo en route to Singapore by SriLankan Airline. I vividly remember that wild run of the plane before the take off and the rush I felt when the plane actually lifted in the air. Sadly I have got used to the pre take-off run now and it does not feel that fast any more. I only hope I never get so used to flying that the window seat and the sunsets and the sunrises from the air also becomes a routine.

When did you take a flight for the first time in your life and where did you go?

1. Lazy Sunday Photo- From a Plane Window
  2. Skywatch Friday- Sky from the Bangalore-Delhi Flight
  3. Chat Time!
  4. Skywatch Friday- More Ariel Shots over Europe
  5. It is that Time of the Year!

Atul February 5, 2011 at 1:36 am

In late 80s, I used to work close to Palam airport. Every time I saw a plane landing or taking-off, I used to think if I would ever fly… My first flight was Delhi – Singapore – Sydney – Auckland – Wellington. Words cannot describe how excited I was. I loved flying then – I HATE it now. I fly twice a week and hate going through security and painful boarding process. This reminds me that I have to check-in for my tomorrow’s flight :(

Mridula February 5, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Atul, you fly twice a week? I can imagine anyone will get a little fed up with the drill then.

Appu February 4, 2011 at 11:47 pm

I never fly nor I will maybe

Mridula February 5, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Appu never is forever! How knows? Or is it you hate flying and go out of your way to avoid it?

Mridula February 4, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Shrinidhi, that must have been a good flight :D

Akhila that must have been special!

Tarun :D I am sure it will happen soon.

Anu many thanks for your kind words and welcome to my blog.

Abhilash, thanks for sharing.

Siddhartha hope it never happens with me, giving up the window seat!

Celine I know first flights are special. :D

Celine February 4, 2011 at 12:47 pm

My first 2 flights were from Mangalore to Bangalore and return, when I was in primary school….I think it was on Indian Airlines. I was excited then, not just about the flight but also about seeing the big city in the days that followed….oh, good memories!

Siddhartha Joshi February 4, 2011 at 10:11 am

My first flight was an Indian Airlines flight from Lucknow to Mumbai back in in 1987, at that time it was the most exciting thing for me, especially because most of my friends had not been on a flight ;)

Though a fly very often now, its still a pleasure…have given up my fascination for window seat, and prefer a aisle seat now!

Abhilash February 4, 2011 at 9:48 am

My first flight trip was from Hyderabad to Cochin :)

Anupama Menon February 4, 2011 at 6:08 am

Dear Mridula,
Good Morning!
My cousin’s name is Mridula.
Thanks for reminding..My first flight was from Blore to Goa with my brother.So excited I was…
Wishing you a beautiful day ahead,
Sasneham,
Anu

Tarun February 4, 2011 at 12:32 am

still to board a plane

Akhila S February 3, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Yeah true…. The first flight is always an experience to remember. And even to this day when ever my flight takes-off, the first flight comes into mind.
Mine was Emirates to London @ first job.

Shrinidhi Hande February 3, 2011 at 9:00 pm

My first flight was in my childhood- Mangalore to Bangalore.. Air India don’t remember much about it except getting to eat lot of chocolates…