Travel Talk

by Mridula on August 7, 2012

in Musing,Travel

It all started with Facebook, when I read Niranjan’s status which said, “Some day I am going to be free and I will travel the world.” To which I replied, “I guess I will never be free but I will still travel!” That is actually how I think about travel.

Gorek Shep to Lobuje, Everest Base Camp Trek, Nepal

Gorek Shep to Lobuje, Everest Base Camp Trek, Nepal

Travel for me is something that happens when I just can’t take the big city life anymore. Travel is something that I am always on a lookout for! But I have yet not reached that state where I wish to give up everything and just travel. Many practical things will come in the way but I have not even contemplated it seriously. I have now been working for 10 years and yet I am not tempted to take a break for a year or so and go traveling.

The only time I was seriously forlorn was when I came back after trekking from the Everest Base Camp (there I go again!) and for a month or so I seriously questioned myself but even then full time travel was not something I was contemplating. I just kept thinking again and again, “What am I doing with my life?” I still don’t know but the question doesn’t haunt me anymore.

I guess I am just not meant for it, I like to travel but then I like to get back home too! And if I can get out once every month that keeps me in good humor.

What do you think? Have you thought about traveling at least for an year? Have you actually done it?

1. Why Do You Travel?
  2. A Mention in the Travel Secrets Magazine
  3. India Travel Blogs and Travel Blogs by Indians
  4. When do you pack if you are about to travel?
  5. Guest Blogging at India Travel Blog

Sandra Broom August 30, 2012 at 2:41 am

I could travel forever Mridula and yes I like you, would still like to drop home every now and then to enjoy the creature comforts of home.
As much as I would love to stop working, work allows me to travel. Without work, there would be no travel funds.

meenamenon August 7, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Ho u bet I rue not doing it before these responsibilities in life set in esp with a hubbs who is game for it! Is it too late now??? Guess so :-/

Sudhagee August 7, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I think of travelling all the time and my dream is to hop from World Heritage Site to World Heritage Site and get paid for it. :-) But seriously, while I like to travel and the idea of travelling for a yer or more is like a dream come true, I don’t think I can do that—15-20 days is the maximum that I can travel before travel fatigue sets in.

Sanand R August 7, 2012 at 5:02 pm

“Travel for me is something that happens when I just can’t take the big city life anymore.” That sums it up for me. I enjoy traveling a lot especially with my son who is curious and eager to know about the world but like you have stated, there are too many practical things that will come in the way. So nope, there is no way I can go traveling for a whole year.

Tes August 7, 2012 at 4:07 pm

You’re so lucky to be able to travel like that. We’re dreaming of being on road for a whole year sometime soon if we save up enough to leave the job… :)

Abhilash August 7, 2012 at 12:38 pm

good one. Travel is something I prefer doing when I wallet say, I am full and you can start investing ;)

Abhilash August 7, 2012 at 12:39 pm

a correction: “when my wallet say, I am full and you can start spending”

A August 7, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Hi!

I guess there’s such a strong magnetic force in mountains that often I want to leave everything, forget everything and travel for few days , but practicalities and liabilities have prevented me from doing so. But I am sure it is certainly going to happen very soon. It’s like you want to shed everything and just be what you are, escape from being person that you are forced to become – living is stressful modern city life.

ghazala August 7, 2012 at 12:35 pm

One has to be really free to travel for a year. We travel for 3weeks to 1 month max ~

Niranjan August 7, 2012 at 11:44 am

Taking a break for a full year and travelling looks a distant dream at least as of now. As you said, If i can travel once in a month am content. But that wish or hope to travel forever will remain forever. :)

Anu August 7, 2012 at 11:27 am

I think of getting away sometime on a trip with no plans of getting back! of course that isnt really possible as of now, and I wonder if I will actually do that when the opportunity arises, so trips now and then keep me sane and happy… for now…..