Traditioanl Indian Stone Grinders

by Mridula on November 25, 2012

in Canon D550,Food,India,Photography,Rajasthan

Stone grinders have gone out of fashion in urban India. But when I was growing up we had both sil batta (on the right in the photo) and chakki (the round one on the left) at my home!

Stone Grinders

Stone Grinders- Sil Batta and Chakki

This is what was used to grind pulses (using the round one called chakki), masala (spices) and chatni in Indian homes before mixers and grinders became common. So when I saw them at Lakshman Sagar I had to click a picture.

1. Carved in Stone!
  2. Sky Watch Friday- Glorious Sunrise at Lakshman Sagar, Rajasthan, India
  3. Lakshman Sagar, Pali, Rajasthan
  4. Indian Robin
  5. Nawal Sagar, Bundi

Raghav November 28, 2012 at 4:22 am

As long as its not the jail Ki chakki, I think it’s okay ;-)

Qaminante November 28, 2012 at 4:16 am

At “my” house in Tamil Nadu in the 60s we had a thing like a big stone rolling pin, on top of a stone block, which as far as I know was used for everything from grinding spices to breaking up jaggery. What’s the difference between the 2 types pictured? I still use a pestle and mortar sometimes, that is a small stone bowl with a stone or wooden grinding “stick”, for example for making pesto.

Sanand R November 27, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Traditional stone grinders are still popular in many homes in South India. They look old fashioned but taste a chutney that is ground from the old stone grinder and one with the so called super fast grinder and you can actually taste the difference in a big way. Tradition wins hands-down!

Niranjan November 26, 2012 at 7:01 pm

A crawl back in times. Definitely an experience to cherish.

Mridula November 26, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Anu post some pictures from that garden!

Desi Traveler thank you for sharing your stories.

Shalu I am happy to know that you liked the post :D

Thank you Lady Fi.

Meena when I asked the hotel staff they said they do use them!

Lakshmi we do not have them any longer at home.

Lakshmi November 26, 2012 at 10:06 am

We still have them at home although am not sure we use them so much today

Aditya Chawla March 25, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Can you give me this chakki, please quote the price.

Meena Menon November 25, 2012 at 9:23 pm

And they still use it huh?? Been ages i saw a operational one

Lady Fi November 25, 2012 at 8:52 pm

What lovely heirlooms and objects of history.

Shalu Sharma November 25, 2012 at 8:44 pm

You know these chakkis are wonderful things. We still have them in the villages of Bihar. Thanks to modernity, we don’ have to use them in the towns but when I see one, it gives me a lot of happiness. Thank you Mridula for such a lovely post.

desi Traveler November 25, 2012 at 7:46 pm

My granny had both too.. She even used to grind her own grain on chakki… We still have some where in my mother’s attic….Thanks for bringing the memories alive…

Anuradha Shankar November 25, 2012 at 7:12 pm

we had both at home too, and till recently had another one to grind the idli atta too… disposing of the stone grinders was as difficult as using them! and incidentally, there is a garden near our place which has been decorated with a lot of such grinders thrown off by people in the area.