What are Your Favorite Photography Tips for Bloggers?

by Mridula on February 12, 2013

in blogging,Canon D550,Photography

My love affair with photography started gradually. I always liked to take pictures but there was a time when I would not get withdrawal symptoms if I didn’t get to travel once a month and click pictures. Now it looks like I am not going to travel in February and I am sulking like mad. I know I should count my blessings (and there are way too many to start with) but …

Tips for Photography?

Tips for Photography and Using Pictures on Your Blog

So I thought instead of sulking I would talk about photography. I am no expert but I love to take pictures and I have 70 of them on sale with Getty Images.

1. Look for the Light: One of the things I learned through time is to look for light. All lights are not equal. The noon light is different from the ‘golden light’ which is different from twilight. I take pictures with different expectations depending on the light.

2. Can’t Shoot Then All: I like shooting landscapes. I like shooting landscapes more than anything else. This realization made me stop chasing very thing under the sun like flowers, portraits, wildlife, street photography with equal rigor. I like clicking flowers, birds and everything under the sun but I am not chasing gear to shoot everything anymore. And I am not expecting the same results as well.

3. Did You Photoshop It? The short answer is no. I do not have enough money to buy lightroom and I will not use torrent to download it. But I do use Picasa to edit my pictures. And even the most stringent photo competitions would allow you minor adjustments. I do make adjustments in Picasa for my pictures. I have made  my peace with the post processing process.

4. I am not a Pro: I read photography websites and forums. I bought a SLR first and figured it out later. And learning is an ongoing process. A lot of advice on the websites comes from pros. I will never (as far as I can see) have the leisure to sit at a place and wait for a shot for a few hours, forget about days. I would probably never scout locations for three days and then start shooting. So even if I do read a lot I try to sift it through my filter. Will it work for me?

5. I Respect Copyright: I am lucky I mostly write about places I visit myself. So I have my own pictures to go with it. But on the rare occasion when I don’t have them I will not use a random picture from a search engine. That is a violation of copyright irrespective of whether the photograph carried a copyright sign or not. If I am really pressed I would use a creative common picture.

What is your take?

1. Street Photography- Weekly DPS Photography Challenge
  2. One More Time- Everest Base Camp Trek Article Featuring at Digital Photography School!
  3. Before and After- The DPS Weekly Photography Challenge
  4. Weekly DPS Photography Challenge- DIY Lighting
  5. Street Photography from Bangalore

desi Traveler February 15, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Hi Mridula… even I have not bought P/S and would not download illegal copies. But lightroom is now around 150 USD and worth it. Picassa is what I use for my day to day pics. I recently did a post for Parentous for taking pics of kids… check it here . I believe the best cam is the one in your hand, and the best moment is right here right now :)

9 simple tips to photograph kids

desi Traveler February 15, 2013 at 4:53 pm
Meena Menon February 13, 2013 at 11:24 am

thts such a Kooooooooooooooooooooooooool magnifying glass!

Vishal Rathod February 13, 2013 at 11:04 am

Mridula ,

Good Guidance On Photography . Agree on almost all the points .

Also when I travel I take lot of snaps while in bus , train etc.while moving . My way of taking snaps is also very fast paced as I cover many destinations in a day.
So can guide me with DSLR can we do such a fast paced or moving photography? because as per I knowledge we need first adjust and focus the lenses and then click to get the optimum quality of the picture.

R.Ramakrishnan February 13, 2013 at 10:30 am

Good tips Mridula. I endorse your suggestions in toto.

Anuradha Shankar February 13, 2013 at 8:49 am

Completely agree with all the points you have made… and those are mostly the ones i follow too…. except for one, i still dont have a slr… and am still not able to decide which i want to photograph more.. landscapes, flowers, animals, or people… so i click anything and everything and love my bridge camera for now, since i cant see myself deciding in the near future.. also, considering i always travel with samhith in tow, dont think i can handle him as well as a dslr! and the last is so right… i dont simply lift images either from the net.. usually use my own, or ask friends for permission.. or of course, creative commons.. wish everyone followed that rule, though!

Tushar February 12, 2013 at 11:45 pm

The Favorite Photography Tips for Bloggers is:
More you click pictures more you will learn photography no matter what camera you are using. I am learning this way and always use Auto Mode. If pictures I click are appreciated by professional photographers then I am sure you can be a always a better photographer. Just click more that is the mantra.

Akhila S February 12, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Totally agree. This post so much talks about what I think and exactly do :) plus, “I don’t have that kind of time to spend on post processing, even if I had Photoshop and I want it to be as original as possible, so very little post processing”.

shooting star February 12, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I agree with all your points, like you I got myself a DSLR and then figured it out over time !!

Copyright is a sensitive issue for bloggers and i have seen many copyright violations, what i do is credit the photo if its not my own, mostly i use photos of my blogger friends (ofcourse i credit them in that case also) so they already know im using their photos!!