Beaches in South Sri Lanka

by Mridula on April 22, 2013

in beach,Canon D550,Photography,Sri Lanka

Even though I am a mountain person I do like to take beach vacations as well. In South Sri Lanka we visited three beaches in all. We stayed at Unawatuna and did Mirissa and Matara as day trips. As I prepare to take the connecting flights back home tomorrow, I will leave with images from each of the beaches we visited.

Unawatuna Beach, Sri Lanka Unawatuna Beach, Sri Lanka

As we stayed here we spent most of the time around Unawatuna. It is a lovely beach which was terribly affected in the tsunami of 2004. If you go to the restaurants they show pictures of the beach and the nearby areas after tsunami and what a horror they are! Tsunami stories are very common here. I saw pictures where buses were lying upside down. But enough about it. Today it is a beautiful beach again which does roaring business.

Mirissa Beach, Sri Lanka

Mirissa Beach, Sri Lanka

Mirissa is about 30 km from Unawatuna and any tuktuk driver would drop you there. It is  quieter beach than Unawatuna. It has one big hotel and rest smaller ones. There are plenty of shacks to eat and almost all of them have sunbeds where you can laze around. I tried reading a book but most of the times I failed. I was happier gazing at the sea than anything else. I saw many beginner surfers at Mirissa.

Matara Beach, Sri Lanka Matara Beach, Sri Lanka

Matara is a local beach about 40 km away from Unawatuna. It is a beautiful place. It has none of the shacks of Unawatuna and Mirissa. In fact it seems to be very popular with local couples  We arrived here mid day and it was blazing hot. Given that there were no places to sit we soon gave up on it. In this picture you do not see the couple’s as they are sitting in the shade of the coconut trees most often with an umbrella in the hand as well.

Tomorrow we head back. How I wish we had time to explore a few more beaches in Sri Lanka. After reaching I am almost immediately heading back to Guwahati and Shillong for work. But somewhere I will find time to tell you detailed stories from Sri Lanka.

1. Sri Lanka- First Impressions
  2. Stick Fishermen and Fisher Woman from Koggala, Sri Lanka
  3. A Small Update on My Sri Lanka Plans
  4. Finding Air Tickets for Sri Lanka
  5. No Wonder I like Mountains and Beaches!

Deepak Khanal April 29, 2013 at 10:49 am

Amazing beaches in Sirlinka, i love to visit . Thank you very for lovely picture with information.

leena patel April 25, 2013 at 1:05 pm

nice photographs

Anki S April 24, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Unawatuna Beach is a super wow shot.Shillong and Guwahati for work,where do you work Mridula,I too want to join :)

Team G Square April 24, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Being born beside beaches , i always have kind of affection to beaches . Shall some day visit these beaches .Love your captures .

Ajeeth boaz April 24, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Nice set of beaches, Great shots…

Anuradha Shankar April 23, 2013 at 8:21 pm

such beautiful beaches, Mridula! am just reading a book which is set in Sri Lanka… that together with your photos and description make me want to go there too :D hope the time comes soon!

Debopam Banerjee April 23, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Unique authorship opportunity at Kenfolios for bloggers

Hi Bloggers/Web-Master/Writers/Content Creators
KenFolios introduces an unique authorship program for all the bloggers, writers and content creators, where you can earn for every activity. Once you become a registered user, you will be given Kenfolios fixed points for every activity at KenFolios like posting, commenting, sharing content and for visiting Kenfolios.com too, points can be later encashed according to our revenue sharing policy.

KenFolios also provides authors bio section which provides two Dofollow backlinks to your blog/web-page. You also get quality visitors from KenFolios.

Currently KenFolios is publishing more about technlogy, blogging , SEO. Web Mastering but good content on any interesting subject are welcome. We will add required categories for quality posts.

Interested Bloggers can visit http://www.kenfolios.com for more information.

KenFolios is currently not offering open registration but creating accounts for interested bloggers only.
If you have any query, feel free to contact me at debopam.banerjee@kenfolios.com

Looking forward to have you in our team of specialized bloggers. KenFolios is growing and this is the right time to become a part of the authorship program at KenFolios.

Regards
Debopam Banerjee
KenFolios Author & Authorship Promoter

Easwar Arumugam April 23, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Sri Lanka is a treasure-trove for tourists. The country is blanketed with enchanting greeneries and the beaches are eye-catching lots.

Krrishna April 23, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Sri Lankan beaches are undoubtedly among the most popular and most visited beaches in the world. They are not less familiar than the Goa in India. And thanks Mridula! you’ve highlighted them more precisely and beautifully written… :)

Niranjan April 23, 2013 at 2:50 pm
vish4uall April 23, 2013 at 12:56 pm

i have fallen in love with the sri lanka series blogs of yours…. :) lovely lovely images..

InkMyTravel

Sreedev Soman April 23, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Good Info…
Sreedev Soman @ KookyDom

Meena Menon April 23, 2013 at 11:34 am

Tht was a short hol!! Funnily we visited only 1 beach during our entire stay in SL ….

shooting star April 23, 2013 at 10:11 am

my husband is an out and out beach person..his idea of a perfect holiday is to laze around on a beach with chilled beer in hand!!!

these are very nice beaches :)

My Say April 22, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Amazing beaches .. I told u in the last post !! nice captures !!! :)