Which is Your Favorite State in India?

by Mridula on April 11, 2013

in Canon D550,himachal pradesh,India,Photography

I know a lot of you will scream and say, this is an unfair question. I know you might have more than one favorite states in India. I think I will find it hard to answer it myself. But so what if it is difficult? It has to be tired.

But to answer it I will take a circuitous route. There was a time I could not decide whether I had a preference for mountains or beaches. I thought I liked them equally. You can see that desert didn’t even enter the equation so I have already started making choices. But in December 2012 I had an opportunity to pick up a vacation between a beach and a mountain and the mountains won. So that gave me an inkling that I was already getting an answer to my long standing dilemma. I am becoming more and more of a mountain person.

So now the state I pick has to have mountains. But before that I will take another detour. I have limited leaves and there are many other demands on my time. So when I take a vacation many a times it has to be to the weekend getaways from NCR rather than any thing else.

And before I reveal the state there are a few other considerations. What do you think of State government tourism activities? I know that Gujarat tourism is very active and so is Kerala. I have sen ads from Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh as well. But I have never come across mainstream ads from say Andhra Pradesh tourism or even Uttar Pradesh which has of all places the Taj Mahal. And then there are package tour promoters like Make My Trip India and others that promote particular destinations. Do these factors weigh in your decisions? And as of now I have still kept your life fairly simple, I have not asked for the most favored destinations in the world or I could name so many tourism boards and their lovely ads.

But now let it be drum rolls please, my favorite state in India is Himachal Pradesh. As I said it had to have mountains.

Himachal Pradesh, India

Himachal Pradesh, India

So which is your favorite state in India?

1. Skywatch Friday- Clouds at Sunrise, Palampur, India
  2. Traveling by the State Transport Buses in India
  3. Top 10 Holiday Destinations in India by Number of Bookings
  4. Skywatch Friday- Mountains at Sunrise at Jagatsukh, Himachal Pradesh, India
  5. What is Your Favorite Travel Deal? The First Ever Contest on Travel Tales from India

My Say April 14, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Himachal top Uttranchal and then Sikkim .. unfair is this question truely … all the north eastern states … :D … i love mountains as much ,I guess, u do !!! :)

Malini April 13, 2013 at 8:09 pm

As of now, it is Sikkim for me! But wait, wasn’t it J & K before this? And… Rajasthan before that? No No Kerala I suppose! Or… the little mesmerising Meghalaya? Karnataka’s ghats or TamilNadu’s temples aren’t bad either! What about Goa’s beaches? How serene the sunrise was at the Sabarmati Ashram in Ahmedabad! And the beautiful rivers and fields of Punjab! And the hustle and bustle big cities of Delhi, Mumbai or Kolkata? And of course, my own Singaara Chennai! Hey, why leave out union territories? I loved both the Andamans and Lakshadweep! And I’ve been lucky to experience all these, so I’ll keep picking a new one :)

Shaivi Sharma April 13, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Each state is unique and beautiful in its own way. One cant compare.

Meera April 12, 2013 at 6:45 pm

I would say Karnataka- it has aboth hills and beaches. People are nice and the access is easy. The language is manageable for those who are from the north ( unlike Tamilnadu) and ofcourse I have some very happy memories of being there.

Dency April 12, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Being a Keralite, I totally agree with everyone who supported Kerala for its scenic beauty and many unexplored places… But I loved J&K!!!
Tat place is mesmerizing… Everyone has to see that place atleast once in their lifetime. Its beauty is on par with Switzerland… No need to spend the extra bucks guys!

Sanand R April 12, 2013 at 4:52 pm

I like traveling to many places within India but somehow, it always comes back to Kerala – my home state. There is still so much that is left to explore there and the experiences are culturally layered too. So, yes, Kerala is a special place for me and then so is Chennai.

Prashanth April 12, 2013 at 12:57 pm

It has to be Karnataka. That’s why you come down to KA at least once in a year :D

Suresh Jonna April 12, 2013 at 8:47 am

If you are talking about a state as whole then I would give Kerala 5 stars. I have been there and I loved the place.

umashankar April 12, 2013 at 7:40 am

That is flawless logic, Mridula! I have been to HP just once but loved it.

Easwar Arumugam April 11, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I like Kerala. I have no reasons for selecting this state. But then, if you live in Kerala at least for a month, then you’ll begin to love this state. This ‘god’s own country’ has such mesmerizing effect on people.

Shiju April 11, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Me to vote for Kerala due to its amazing natural beauty.
Know more at – http://www.toptraveldestinationsindia.com/category/south-india/kerala/

Meena Menon April 11, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Err I love mountains over beaches anyday. But then what I love more is a freedom to be me – to dress up in itsie-bitsies if my heart desires without having to bother abt getting gawked at! For this reason alone I will pick Goa!

Chitra April 11, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I second Niranjan..Kerala for me too. :) ) u must visit it Mridula.

Niranjan April 11, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Kerala for its Diversity. Except for a desert, I do not think it lacks in anything and that too at such close distances.