I have been there my self, thrice. My pictures lifted off the net and published in big newspapers or in-flight magazines. I have seen numerous others in the same boat. It is about time that I started to maintain a log of all such posts (mostly Indian cases) at one place. I am not sure what purpose such a plagiarism list will sure but then I want vent.
My Own Three Cases
1. The Most Recent one was with Mint and resolved somewhat decently, but 2K as compensation for plagiarism is too low, the legal minimum is 50K.
2. Before that it was Brunch/HT and they cropped out my (c) Mridula D from the picture before using it.
3. And then there was an in-flight magazine where I found my first picture in print! Without a credit to me of course! And more funnily with a credit to someone else.
They have left me so sore that I am determined to list whatever I can find. And if you know of cases or if your own picture has been plagiarized, do leave me the link, I will do my best to keep it updated.
4. Kalyan Verma finds his picture of Wroughton’s Free Tailed Bat in Times of India without his consent and without any credit to him.
5. PlaneMad found his picture of the Taj Mahal Hotel on the front page of the Times of India without his consent and without any credit to him.
6. Shrinidhi found his picture of a police car in the Times of India without his knowledge.
8. Saad.Akhtar found a picture of his family gracing the pages of the Hindustan Times Dainik without his knowledge.
10. Twlightfairy’s picture in Times of India without her knowledge.
11. Roop finds her own picture staring back at her from the cover of a Punjabi Magazine! And she calls it pits of plagiarism.
12. Jo found a picture taken by him on the cover of a book.
13. Haree’s picture in the Madhyamam.
14. Nita found a picture of hers in the Hindustan Times.
15. Shamit Bagchi found his pictures in DNA newspaper.
16. Arun found his picture of Chandratal at NDTV website.
18. Spicejet Magazine Spiceroute lifting from a blog.
19. Archna and her picture in Hindustan Times.
20. Many instances collected at a blog called Indianpressarethieves.
21. A wikipedia page called Times of India=Plagiarism.
22. For Rocksea and Sarah it was Malayala Manorama.
23. Ritu found her short story without her permission in Femina.
And I am sure this is just the tip of the iceberg, if you wish to tip me off with a link I would surely add it.