Oscar-nominated actor Richard Burton would have been 87 on November 10th. This passionate native of Wales returns to the spotlight on the eve of his birthday with the first complete collection of his diaries ever published (www.yalebooks.com). To celebrate, Visit Wales has launched The Richard Burton Diaries Sweepstakes (enter at www.visitwales.com/usa), giving one lucky winner and a guest an exclusive glimpse into the places, the passion and the people that shaped the iconic actor.
The five- night, six-day prize trip will include a chance to meet the book’s editor, Chris Williams and view Burton’s original diaries at Swansea University. The winner will also tour the newly opened Richard Burton Trail in Wales, visit his home village Pontrhydyfen, and travel to the seaside town of Tenby where Burton and Taylor vacationed together.
It’s hard to imagine the world-acclaimed actor as a family man fretting about his daughter’s wounded heart, as a thoughtful and voracious reader of all manner of subjects, and as an insecure man with ‘self-esteem issues,’ who, nonetheless continues to captivate. But that is the man that is revealed in The Richard Burton Diaries…in his own words.
The Richard Burton Diaries Sweepstakes offers an intimate glimpse into one of Richard Burton’s greatest loves: Wales. Inspired by the epic romance between Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor, the Grand Prize is provided courtesy of Visit Wales and Lynott Tours and includes:
· Roundtrip coach air transportation to Britain.
· 6 days / 5 nights’ accommodation in Wales with stops in the capital, Cardiff, Dylan Thomas’s home, Swansea and Burton and Taylor’s seaside getaway, Tenby.
· Ground transfers and rail transportation in Wales.
· A visit to Richard Burton’s hometown of Pontrhydyfen where you can walk the recently opened Richard Burton Trail.
· A private driver-guide excursion to charming Tenby where Burton and Taylor vacationed.
· A chance to meet Chris Williams, editor of The Richard Burton Diaries, tour the Richard Burton Centre at Swansea University, view Burton’s original diaries (subject to scheduling availability).
Four runners-up will receive The Richard Burton Diaries, courtesy of Yale University Press.
Log on to Visit Wales to enter the sweepstakes and explore the exclusive blog series, “Richard Burton: Loving Liz, Loving Wales.”