It is not that I seek out to travel solo but solo trips just happen. Like first I thought I was going to Bhutan with my younger nephew but that didn’t happen. In the end the first trip of 2014 was to Kutch, my personal vacation and solo. I will recount conversations that happened because of traveling solo.
1. Somewhere in Kutch
Taxi Driver to me: It is all very nice but Ma’am you should have come with your family …
Me: Yes I know but …
2. At Narayan Sarovar
Man: Are you a journalist?
Me: No I am not.
Man: With that camera I thought you were!
3. A young Air-force boy in the the same coach of the train while traveling from Ahmebdabad to Bhuj
Boy: Ma’am where are you from?
Boy: Well you must be working there cause I can recognize a Haryanvi when I see one.
4. Taxi Driver to me at after coming back from the BSF Check Post
The officer was asking if you are a foreigner! I told him she is traveling alone but she is from Delhi and speaks Hindi.
5. At Great Rann of Kutch
Woman: Are you a scientist?
Woman: Well you are sitting on the ground and clicking pictures so I thought you must be conducting research.
So much so for trying for another angle for a photograph!
6. Me taking pictures at the Great Rann of Kutch
A stranger: Ma’am which country you are from?
Me: मैं भारत से हूँ और हिन्दी में बोलते हैं. (I am from India and I speak in Hindi).
7. Again at the great Rann of Kutch two boys come to me and ask
Boys: Can we take your camera and clicked posing with it?
Me: Yes and if you wish you can take pictures with it.
Boys: No ma’am we are happy posing.
8. Again At Great Rann of Kutch
Girl: Are you a professional photographer?
Me: No I like clicking pictures but I am not a professional.
Girl: Points to the tripod and says- well with all this I thought you must be but you say you are not!
9. At the White Rann Camp Tents, Gorevali Village at Breakfast I got chatting with another woman
Me: Sometimes it is good to travel solo
Woman: Yes you will enjoy particularly if you are a loner!
Me: Scratching my head and thinking if I am a loner, I guess I am a bit of.
10. And for a change me to a boy at Great Rann of Kutch, he was the quietest boy around, was on cell phone for a while before, I guess with his girlftriend.
Me: Will you click a picture for mine.
I give him my cell phone and stand.
Boy: आप बहुत tension में लग रहे हो (you look so tense)
I burst out laughing!
People were a bit curious about me traveling solo but it was mostly fun. I never once was hassled.