It is easy to make resolutions. But it is hard to follow them. So I have decided to keep it simple this year. Instead of drawing up a list of places I want to visit and peaks I want to bag, I have just one travel resolution.
Pack up that diaper bag, pick up the baby, lock the front door and leave the house!
As a new mom to a 3-month old, that is my biggest challenge as well as my strongest motivator. I don’t know if come spring, we will take a road-trip to Holland (the one in Michigan) for the tulip festival and learn how to make a banket (pronounced bahn-KET is a Dutch almond pastry) from scratch .I don’t know if we will buy brand new hiking boots and hike up the White Mountains in summer or just take the easy way out and drive up the auto-road. I have no idea if we will get to beat the crowds and snowshoe in Cape Cod or go to London to see a dear friend.
My plans depend on getting the perfect on-the-go bottle warmer and the temperament of a baby who still prefers to snuggle against the warmth of his bassinet over the cold expanse of his crib. Needless to say, with a resolution like mine I have done plenty of research on “traveling with baby.” The tips below are a combination of late-night browsing and first-hand experience:
1. Don’t skimp on baby travel gear. If need be, cut back on the number of places you plan to visit but not on the gear.
2. If it’s a road trip you are taking, take a break whenever possible. If you are flying to the other side of the world (like we might fly to India), take a break in between continents. For us, we are thinking Europe.
3. There is no such thing as too many bottles of hand-sanitizer and disinfecting wipes.
4. Always discuss the trip with your pediatrician and take her advice before leaving.
And with that, I wish everyone happy travels in 2012.
N.B. This post is part of the Bootsnall Indie Travel Challenge 2012.
Latest posts by Esha Samajpati (see all)
- People are Predictably Irrational – Professor Thaler - October 10, 2017
- Allergy Friendly Birthday Treat - October 8, 2017
- Durga Pujo in Kolkata, India - September 28, 2017