Updated on November 23, 2017
10 Things I am Thankful for Right Now
Today the kids in my son’s school had their Thanksgiving lists up and ready. As it turns out, the kindergarteners and 1st graders are thankful for toothpaste, leaves, dogs, grandparents, chocolate cake, puddles, moms, dads, Batman, snow, recess, Legos, frogs, mint chocolate ice-cream, Christmas and more – but not necessarily in that order.
So I thought I should make a list as well.
1. I will start with my own little family. Thankful for each and every one of them and all that they do day to day. Every little thing.
Thankful for parents who understand.
Thankful for my extended family, the aunts and uncles and cousins who keep in touch via WhatsApp, no matter where they are. It could be as simple as a picture of a giraffe from my aunt who writes “For the little guy, with love, from Amboseli, Kenya.”
2. Friends. The real ones. The ones who take time out of their busy schedule (even if they have a cross-continental wedding to attend) to hear you gripe about life in general.
Friends who turn up with a casserole when you fracture your leg.
Friends who text you out of the blue and you pick up where you left off. They don’t need to pretend perfection, and neither do you. Friends who keep in touch after moving to another country.
Friends who stand up for you.
3. Thankful for technology (FaceTime is the best) that makes expat life so easy. It also makes switching career paths to start a craft brewery business or getting a degree that much more plausible.
4. I am grateful that For Now, Trump to Keep Ban on Importing Elephant Trophies.
5. I am not a vegan by any means. Not yet. I have a hard time saying no to delicious food. But given the cruelty in factory farming and environmental impact of high meat consumption, I am grateful that there is a slow and steady movement towards better eating. And more choices for people to make better decisions. Click here for an encyclopedia of vegan food.
6. Happy to have the four seasons of New England, Fall being my favorite.
7. Thankful to have lived in two different countries on two sides of the world. It gives me perspective, and often, hope.
8. Thankful for crumbs on the floor, because that means there’s food on the table.
9. Thankful for the outdoors, the parks, and the patches of green around me.
10. Thankful for the pale blue dot we call home.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving and a festive fun weekend!