Downton Abbey Comes Alive at the Masterpiece Ball–Photo Gallery
I think in a laid back place like the Pioneer Valley there remains an intrinsic desire to get dressed up once in a while. Enough of the pajamas on Main Street, and the casual Fridays every day. We gravitate toward any chance to get into our fancy outfits, and that’s why I think Saturday’s Masterpiece Ball Celebrating Downton Abbey was such a sold-out success.
Every ticket was sold and everyone was dressed to the nines as we swept into the Log Cabin, where the dining room and cocktail areas were decorated with fresh flowers and lots of candles. The strains from the theme from Downton Abbey, an ethereal piece of music presaging drama and mystery to come, could be heard in the hours before the big band began to play early 1900s tunes to the enthusiastic audience of dancers.
Women were wearing feathery fascinators and hats, men were decked out in tuxedoes and some with the white ties worn by Downton Abbey butler Mr Carson and the evil Thomas the former footman. Everyone was in a good mood as they had their photos taken and they enjoyed the sumptous period banquet of roast lamb, filet mignon, chicken smothered with onions and a pretty mashed pea timbale.
We had a quiz of Downton Abbey trivia put on by Monte Belmonte and after a little more dancing, we got a chance to see the first hour of the third year of the series, which hasn’t yet been broadcast on television. A festive and fun night for all!
Latest posts by Max Hartshorne (see all)
- As the Flu Shot’s Effects Wear Me Down, No Interns Make this Fall More Challenging - October 16, 2017
- Travel Blogging: The Writing Still Matters - October 12, 2017
- Inniskea Was Once Full of Human Life, Today, Only Birds - October 9, 2017
- Achill Island, Ireland: Dramatic Views, Splendid Beaches - October 8, 2017
- Wild Atlantic Way Begins for Us in Westport, Ireland - October 7, 2017